June Wrap-up/July 2020 TBR

Hey friends!

The first weekend of July has officially come to an end, so I figured it was about time that I wrapped up what I read in June.

In June, I read 6 books. This may not be a lot compared to some people, but I typically read about one per week, so I'm very happy I was able to accomplish this. Overall, I read 4 e-ARCs and 2 books from my physical TBR (one I own and one that was lent to me). Here they are in order of the time I read them:

Pizza Girl by Jean Kyoung Frazier
Cover of Pizza Girl by Jean Kyoung Frazier
Goodreads

I was very excited to read this book because I'd seen it all over different most anticipated lists and I haven't seen many books with cool covers featuring pizza. I was excited when I was approved for the ARC. Pizza Girl is about a pregnant 18-year-old working as a pizza delivery girl after she graduates from high school. She is dealing with the death of her father when she meets a woman by bringing her pickle pizza for her young son. I ended up giving this book three stars. I liked many aspects of it and found it good, but stream-of-consciousness literary fiction just isn't personally my thing.

28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand
Cover of 28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand
Goodreads
This was another e-ARC I read this June. It's a years-long love story that really shows off the beauty of Nantucket. I rated it four stars; my full review can be found here.

King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo
cover of King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo
Goodreads
This is the first book of my June TBR that I was actually able to get to. It wasn't even first in my TBR pile, but I moved it up because my boyfriend had just read it and wanted to talk to someone about it. It continues the Grishaverse set up by the Shadow and Bone and Six of Crows series, following the characters Nikolai, Zoya, and Nina in Ravka. I ended up rating it four stars because I liked the writing style but it's definitely not the best of the Grishaverse books. I'm excited for what it seems to be setting up, but I wasn't incredibly drawn into the story like the other books.

The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory
cover of The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory
Goodreads
This is the other book I was able to read this month from my TBR pile. It was lent to me by my cousin. I don't think I've personally ever read an adult romance novel before, but this was a great place to start. It's about a woman who turns down a proposal at a baseball game and is rescued by a cute guy. I just found this book so incredibly charming! I rated it four stars. I'm hoping to be able to borrow Guillory's other books at some point.

Inconvenient Daughter by Lauren J. Sharkey
cover of Inconvenient Daughter by Lauren J. Sharkey
Goodreads
After finishing The Proposal, I got back to reading e-ARCs. Inconvenient Daughter tells the story of Rowan, a girl adopted from Korea by white parents and brought up on Long Island. See my full four-star review here.

Barcelona Days by Daniel Riley
cover of Barcelona Days by Daniel Riley
Goodreads
eARC. One star.

I was thinking of writing a separate TBR post for July, but since I got to only 2 out of my 5 TBR books for June and I know I have some ARCs (including The Voting Booth by Brandy Colbert!) and library books I want to read, I figured I could just write something here. The books I want to read from my physical TBR this month are The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo, The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, and Aurora Rising by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. Hopefully I finish them and don't move them into August.

How many books did you read in June? Do you have any plans for reading in July?

Kyra

Comments

Torii said…
Yes for getting into your TBR. More of her books coming your way! And probably a few others too. Loving your blog!

Popular Posts