June 2020 TBR

Hey friends!

Even though we are almost a week into the month of June, I wanted to make a post about the books I want to read in June, since I'm still only on my first book of the month (It's an ARC of 28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand and I don't normally read her books, but I am loving it!).

In order to make sure I read all the books I buy, I have what I refer to as "the stack" or "the queue" in my bedroom. Books get put in order of purchase and I write down titles in a list in my "List Journal" (basically a less-pretty bullet journal) in that order. That way, if the stack falls or I just want to see what books come next without poking around the stack, I have a reference. This month, I'm going to mostly keep to the stack, but I also have a book from lower down in the stack and a book that's been lent to me by my cousin because I want to make sure I continue to support Black voices in literature as I continue to support the Black Lives Matter movement in my daily life.

Here's what I want to read this month, in no particular order:

Cover of King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo

Goodreads

King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo
I've been a fan of Leigh Bardugo since Shadow and Bone came out. I love her writing; I always seem to get lost in it. I really like the magic system of the Grishaverse. Nikolai is one of my favorite characters in the original trilogy, so I'm hyped to read a continuation of his story. Also, I introduced my boyfriend to the Grishaverse and he got to this before me, so he wants me to read it so we can discuss.


Cover of Aurora Rising by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Goodreads

Aurora Rising by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
I LOVE the Illuminae books. I wasn't even going to read them originally because I didn't used to be into hard sci-fi, but my high school librarian let me take home the first book before she entered it into the system and I was hooked. I'm a little sad that this series won't include the mixed-media format as much, but I will read anything these two write, so I'm in anyway. Also, the next book in this series is already out, can you tell my stack is about a year behind? Oops.


Cover of The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo
Goodreads

The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo
This was already coming up in the pile before I decided I wanted to read more books by Black authors. I love books written in verse, so I'm really excited to read this! Also, I think the cover is absolutely stunning. This will be my first book by Elizabeth Acevedo, but With the Fire on High is also somewhere in the stack, so it won't be the last.


Cover of The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory
Goodreads

The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory
This is the book my cousin lent me! I've been getting more into romance lately, and I've only heard good things about Jasmine Guillory. I love the illustrated cover for this one. I'm looking forward to a sweet rom-com with this one.


Cover of The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
Goodreads


The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
I'm honestly pretty disappointed in myself that I haven't read this one yet, so I've moved it up the stack to read it sooner. I know this is going to be a heavier read, but it is such an important story that I can't wait to read it.

Of course, while I do try to stick to the stack in terms of books I have purchased, I do tend to read ebooks sporadically as well, so this may not be what I actually read this month. In addition to all of the fiction books by Black authors this month, I am interested in reading a non-fiction book concerning Black Lives Matter and ongoing racial tensions in America, so I may end up reading a book like White Fragility or White Rage in order to continue to educate myself. In addition, June is pride month, and I don't have any books featuring LGBTQIA+ characters on this list. I do have Red, White, and Royal Blue on my Kindle so that may be the book I read for that. I also have some eARCs that I've been approved for on NetGalley that come out in early July that I want to read this month. All in all, I have plans to read a lot of books and I only read 8 in May, so I'm going to have to get reading.

What books do you plan on reading this month? Have you read any of these books and did you like them? What books would you recommend to add to my TBR for the month?

Kyra



Comments

Popular Posts